One of my critique partners and writing friends, Heather, nominated me today on her blog for a blog badge/award. I don’t tend to post awards much on my nature blog because they feel very out of place there, but this blog has more of a casual feel, I think, so I don’t feel weird posting it.
This badge is called the Sunshine Award… if there was a meaning to the name originally, it seems to have been lost somewhere along the way. I thought maybe it was taken from something in the The Sound of Music song, My Favourite Things, given the nature of the questions, but the only mention of light from heavenly bodies there is moon on geese’s wings. (Which is a very pretty image. But not sunshine.)
Anyway… here’re the rules: Thank the person who gave you the award (Thanks, Heather!). Write a post about it. Answer the questions that come with it. Pass it along to ten other bloggers and let them know they received the award.
- Favorite Color: Red. Back in high school it was blue. I’m not sure why it switched.
- Favorite Animal: I don’t think there’s an answer to this one; I have many favourites. But if I was only allowed to keep a single animal as a pet (but it could be anything), it would probably be a cat.
- Favorite Number: 13. I’ve always had a thing for underdogs.
- Favorite Non-Alcoholic Drink: Tea, absolutely; 75% of my daily intake of liquids is tea.
- Facebook or Twitter: For my fiction persona, Twitter. For my non-fiction, Facebook. The way the two communities interact is very different, and each is best served by the different platform.
- My Passions: Books. Writing. Nature and hiking. Birds and moths. My animals.
- Getting or Giving Presents: Now that I’m older… the giving. Except for the people who are hard to buy for. ;) But I like receiving thoughtful presents, too.
- Favorite Pattern: This is a weird question; there are so many definitions of pattern. But I guess… I love when some collection of random things presents itself in a geometric/visual or numerical pattern. Like… I do bird banding; the birds are captured (harmlessly) in soft vertical nets, which we check constantly. There’re ten to check, and I get a geeky thrill when I find one bird in net three, two birds in net six, and three birds in net nine. [Probably, however, it meant like plaid/paisley/etc. In which case, I might say my family tartan(s).]
- Favorite Day of the Week: My weekdays tend to blur one into the next, since I don’t work in an office. Perhaps Sundays; all the TV I watch always seems to be on Sundays.
- Favorite Flower: Another where it’s hard to pick just one. But I might say snowdrops, because I’ve got a sentimental attachment to them from a few we had in the garden growing up. Always the first (or very close) to bloom in the spring. Favourite wildflower might be bloodroot for a similar reason.
I don’t follow many writing blogs that aren’t professionals (agents/editors) or published writers, all of whom tend to have very large followings, so I’ve decided to name my other critique partners as the next recipients of the badge. A couple are sporadic bloggers, but they’re all wonderful people with great manuscripts. :)
- Caitlin Nicoll
- Charlee Vale
- Maggie Hall
- TL Conway (I’m throwing her in here even though she’s not technically a CP, because she’s a Twitter friend and I like her blog, too.)
- And Rachel O., except she doesn’t really have a blog currently. But I’ll name her in spirit, anyway. :)