So I’ll start out by saying that after a lot of consideration, trying out various ideas on the tongue and page, and solicitation of outside opinion, I’ve settled on a new pen name. Barring agent/editor veto, I’ve decided to go with Saybe Scott. (Saybe rhymes with maybe.) Both names have meaning to me, and, more importantly, it’s something I can see myself as. I also think it’s got that catchiness/memorability that I didn’t have before. I’ve changed the masthead here, but I’ll hold off for now changing my Twitter handle because that’s more of a nuisance to change if it doesn’t stick (so @SeabrookeN will still work till further notice). Here’s hoping I won’t be doing this again. :)
As part of testing options out I drafted up a couple mock covers for my WIPs. I wanted to see how the different names looked in place, since that’ll be the most important location it’s used. But I was also kinda feeling the urge to do something visually creative for my stories. For each one so far I’ve done a sketch of the main character, sometimes some others. Doing a mock cover was a fun but different way of expressing that artistic creativity.
I just did a quick job for each but I was pretty pleased with how they turned out, so I thought I’d share. Secrets is the one I’m querying, Stars is the one I’m drafting, 619 is awaiting revisions, and Time is in a holding pattern in planning. Since I haven’t even sold these stories, these are obviously not real covers. Just for fun. They’ll probably come down once I do sell them, to avoid confusion.
I’ll be honest here and say I didn’t really pay attention to where I got these photos initially, not planning, at the time, to share them. I make all my own photos on the web (here and here) creative commons, but I know most photographers don’t, so I’ll pull them down if anyone takes issue.